The Chehalis Community Renaissance Team (CCRT) is gearing up to complete our second round of artistically painted art benches. Last spring we initiated this new program with great success. We’re ready to do it again and bring more art into Downtown Chehalis. In cooperation with the City of Chehalis, CCRT is seeking proposals for designs that will be painted on three new wooden benches to be placed in new locations in Downtown Chehalis. These benches will be blank canvases for colorful art in downtown, and will offer a great spot to relax, read, or enjoy a chat with a friend. The goal of the program is to bring original art to ordinary public benches; making art a part of everyone’s daily life and making Downtown Chehalis a more beautiful place to be.
CCRT is asking artists to submit up to three design ideas, incorporating specific themes targeted by our CCRT Design Committee. Themes include:
- Nature (i.e. mountains, rivers, forests, etc.)
- Area history/historic people
- Weather (i.e. sunshine, clouds, raindrops, etc.)
- Wildlife (butterfly, deer, elk, fish, birds, etc.)
- Local culture (reading, dancing, music, etc.)
- UFOs /Kenneth Arnold’s sighting
These colorful designs should represent aspects of our Chehalis community and its unique character. Artists do not need to have previous experience in a similar project, but are expected to possess the skills and expertise to create an artistic bench design. Those chosen for the project will be paid $250 for each bench they paint, up to three benches. The artist will be responsible for all costs associated with creation of the mural including materials (excluding the bench). Artists will also be responsible for transporting the bench for painting.
To be considered for the project, please submit the following by March 15, 2019:
- Basic Information. Provide your name, mailing address, phone number and email.
- Artist Profile. Tell us about yourself! Submit a short bio outlining your experience as an artist. Include a concept and vision for your bench artwork.
- Artist Skills and Qualifications. Identify your specific skill set and qualifications that you will utilize to create this artwork.
- Artist Reference and Experience. Submit a minimum of three, but no more than five, examples of your artwork in PDF or JPEG format.
- Submit Instructions. Please submit the information requested to email@example.com by the submission deadline of March 15, 2019. Selected artists will be announced on March 22, 2019.
Thank you for your interest in our project, and for your interest in a beautiful, vibrant downtown Chehalis! We look forward to receiving your submission. Please email questions regarding this project to CCRT Executive Director, Annalee Tobey at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Annalee Tobey, Executive Director
Chehalis Community Renaissance Team
Phone: (360) 345-1738 | email@example.com