Christmas is a week away and you’re down to the wire – what to do?! Firstly, don’t panic. It might be too late to order and ship your last-minute Christmas gifts, but you can still reap the benefits of Chehalis’s local shopping scene. Browsing whimsical storefront displays, enjoying the holiday atmosphere, and exchanging talk with shop owners is a priceless experience on its own, but there are plenty of other benefits to buying locally, too.
Buying local Christmas gifts eliminates the hassle of shipping, yields more thoughtful gifts, and supports small businesses and families in your own community. If you’re short on ideas, don’t get lost in thousands of online product listings – just enlist the personal help of a shopkeeper to find the perfect gift. BONUS: Some stores can even wrap your gift for you, or help you choose a bag. Talk about a time saver!
To help you get started, we’ve created a list of 10 Last-Minute Christmas Gift Ideas that you can pick up right here in Chehalis. Steal our ideas or pop into one of the stores in downtown Chehalis for some one-on-one help to make your final shopping spree a breeze.
1. A cozy OOTD. Refresh your loved one’s winter wardrobe with a handpicked outfit from a local store or boutique. Chehalis Outfitters, Bartels Clothing, Runway Boutique, and Gracie’s on Market are great places to find high-quality clothing. PRO TIP: Take a quick peek in your loved one’s closet beforehand to check their sizes, then grab a gift receipt in-store in case they need to adjust the fit.
2. Pamper them. Manicures, massages, facials… there are many ways to help your friends or family unwind after the holidays. Breeze into a spa or salon and find out which service you’d like to gift them, then purchase a gift certificate to cover the cost. Your lucky person can then schedule at their convenience, or you can book it for them!
3. Stock their sleigh. Know someone who’s on the road a lot? Give them the gift of peace of mind with a car care or repair kit. The folks at Mac’s Auto Supply or Napa Auto Parts can help you assemble a kit of cleaning or maintenance supplies, tools, accessories, and more. Car wash kits, emergency bags, and toolsets are extremely useful and show how much you care for their safety and comfort!
4. Acts of service. The holiday season can be exhausting, and there isn’t much downtime for busybodies before the New Year starts. Take something off their plate by hiring cleaning, landscaping, pet sitting, or other services from a local provider.
5. Handpicked reads. Downtown Chehalis is lucky enough to have two bookstores for readers to browse. Pick up that new read your bookworm’s been waiting for at Book ‘n’ Brush or find a previously loved book at Shakespeare & Co that you know they’ll devour. PRO TIP: Tuck a handwritten note into the cover for an extra personal touch.
6. Thoughtful treasures. Create a special keepsake or add a knick-knack to their collection. These are perfect gifts for sentimental folks, collectors, and memory curators. You can find frames, albums, ornaments, and other collectibles at Gifted and Smith’s Mercantile. Chehalis Emporium carries an array of trinkets and vintage décor, as well as quirky gifts and locally made goods.
7. Gifts for furry friends. Don’t forget about your four-legged family members this Christmas! All their favorite treats, toys, and accessories can be found at Totally Pawsome and Kaija’s Garden & Pet in downtown Chehalis.
8. Buy more time together. Some people prefer the gift of your presence over material mementos. Between numerous nearby sports and entertainment venues, cafes, restaurants, salons, and museums, there’s no shortage of ways to spend time together! Surprise them on Christmas Day with a day pass, gift certificate, or membership that they can’t wait to use in 2023. (Psst… start here for some experience ideas)
9. Local merch. Do they have a favorite local eatery, entertainer, espresso stand, or shop? They already spend a lot of time and money there, so outfit them with branded merchandise to heighten the experience. Next time they pull up for some espresso, it can go into their new travel mug. Or they can rock their new venue tee to the next show you attend together.
10. Better when shared. Freshly baked treats, locally roasted coffee, convenient meal kits, table wines, farm-sourced pantry items, heavenly candies… It’s hard to go wrong with delicious food, and there’s SO MUCH to enjoy in Chehalis. PRO TIP: Thank your Christmas host or hostess with a gift basket of local foods (you know they’ll be tired of cooking after the holiday!) and pick up a snack to share with the table while you’re there.
Holiday shopping doesn’t need to be stressful or chaotic. This year, we invite you to slow down and enjoy the holiday ambiance of downtown Chehalis, support local businesses, and allow someone else to help you with your gift list. You deserve it, and your family will be blown away by the care imbued in every gift. Happy Holidays!
Written by Chelsea Barr